Received a new Mac and want to transfer all the files from the old user's account
1) Log on as an administrator (ITWSupport).
Note: If account is not available, let the user log on using the old user account, then create a new ITWsupport admin account.
2) Select and "Get info" of the old user's folder to be transferred to the new user folder.
3) Under the "Name and Extension" of the old user info window, change the old name to the new name folder (Sonny . .. short name only)
4) Close the window and enter Admin password to acknowledge the change.
5) Click System Preferences => Users & Groups from and create the new user admin account
6) Type in the full name, then "account name" should match the folder name.
7) Click "Use Existing Folder" when a window pops out saying" The users folder already contains . . . " This takes a minute or so to transfer the profile.
8) Log in as a the new user to check if all the files from the previous user was moved.
Note: If a keychain warning window pops out , click "continue log on"
9) Delete old user account from the System Preferences => Users & Groups window.
Last Updated 13th September 2013 01:56:17 pm
Submitted BySonny Mamaril
Print this page
Email this page
Post a comment
Add to favorites
Edit this Article
Export to PDF
Copyright 2008 California State University, East Bay. All Rights Reserved. • 25800 Carlos Bee Boulevard, Hayward, CA 94542 • phone 510-885-3000