How do you transfer your current Outlook contact groups onto your new computer?
Windows 7, Outlook 2010
Before starting you have to enable import/export capability on the MS Office installation. The ability to import export may not be available on your installation (it is NOT in the standard CSUEB installation).
If needed, enable the import/export functionality on the MSOffice installation:
1) Start => Control Panel
2) Click "Programs"
3) Click "Programs and Features"
4) Select "Microsoft Office"
5) Click "Change"
6) Select ‘Add or Remove’ features
7) Enable/Run from My Computer under Microsoft Outlook -> Importers and Exporters.
Export from the first machine running Outlook 2010:
1. Open Outlook on the computer containing the desired contacts and click the "File" tab.
2. Click "Options" then click "Advanced" to display advanced Outlook options.
3. Click the "Export" button, then select "Export to a file" and click "Next."
4. Select "Outlook Data File (.pst)” as the file type and click "Next."
5. Select the “Contacts” folder when prompted, and then click "Next." This will export all individual contacts and contact groups within the folder.
6. Click "Browse" and select where to save the export file. The destination location might be on a removable storage device such as a USB flash drive to allow you to import the file on the other computer.
7. Type a name for the file in the file name box and click "OK."
8. Click "Next" when prompted and then click "Finish."
Import to the second machine running Outlook 2010:
1. Open Outlook on the computer you want to import the contacts to and click the "File" tab.
2. Click File -> "Open", then "Open Outlook Data File"
3. Browse to the folder with backup made from first machine, select the file, click OK
4. Clicked the newly opened data file, click on Contacts, copy all groups from this file to your regular contacts folder.
5. Unmount the backup data file by right clicking on the data file, selecting “Close”
Last Updated 14th August 2013 09:20:33 am
Submitted ByAbel Machado
Print this page
Email this page
Post a comment
Add to favorites
Edit this Article
Export to PDF
Copyright 2008 California State University, East Bay. All Rights Reserved. • 25800 Carlos Bee Boulevard, Hayward, CA 94542 • phone 510-885-3000